Thursday 23 September 2010

More Research - Mounts


So I've been sat here just thinking after a lesson we had today. I want a little break from my characters for a few hours but wanted to be actually making good use of my time. So I thought well lets go and have a look around you tube and see if i can find anything interesting on dinosaurs. I know for a fact i want the evil guy riding some sort of pre historic beast. I think it fits in well. It'd be cool to give it cybernetic wings of some sort too but this is where my concepting and ideas move together.





Anyway I found a interesting little documentary on you tube about a bird dinosaur with four wings. I thought it was something completely unique I have never heard of it before but the documentary was a good 50 minutes explaining the bone movement ect and how it flew with 4 wings. I think this would be a great idea for a concept design for a ostrich mount. Me and Dean discussed the ostrich...it just doesn't seem fierce enough so i did decide it may be best to change the idea a little.



So I went on and watched another decent documentary on dinosaurs once again. I know for a fact Joust is set around the time of dinos so it's a great thing to just look into what stuff was there back then after all the riders do have pre historic mounts....including the ostrich which I personally find 'ok' but not very good as a mount after looking in me research. Most people fall off the things. I guess that why they made them robots maybe they where programmed to be good!







So moving on i looked at a quick video of someone riding a ostrich. Yeh, you can ride one. Could you joust on one though? To me it just seems like a awkward mount to joust on....she can hardly hold herself upright and someone has to hold her back. I don't think it's overly fit in a way because it can't even flap it's wings to fly up. I mean the concept is good I guess and looking at the cover art for Joust they are robotic...so like i said maybe there is some mechanics going on in there? You never know. I had the idea though...keep the ostriches and ect...maybe let the players choose the mounts they wish to ride in game. It'd give me more opportunity to change ideas then without ruining the whole concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment